Table of Contents
Setting up a SIP phone with SDF VoIP
SDF Voice over Internet Protocol Telephony is a service feature available to the ARPA, META and Validated USERS membership levels. It allows an SDF user to make voice and video calls to other SDF users and to linked Telephony services via a SIP client on a 3G or WIFI cellphone, WIFI enabled mobile device, or an Internetworked computer.
SDF VoIP set up and server configuration can be accessed via 'maint' at the shell ('maint' → v → p).
Wikipedia also has a list of notable SIP clients.
Tested SIP Hardware
Routers (with SIP capabilities)
- Grandstream GXP2000
- Grandstream DP750 with DP720 handset
- snom 300
- Cisco SPA-525G2
Analog Phone Adapter
- Grandstream HT801/HT802
- Linksys/Sipura SPA-3000
- Obihai/Polycom OBi200
Tested SIP clients
- Unlocked 2.3 (Gingerbread), 4.0 and up (including Android 10) handsets have native SIP support
- Built-in client on Nokia phones and tablets (N810)
Mac OS X
- Telephone, available through the App Store.
- MicroSIP Open Source SIP client for Windows
All SIP clients must have at least 3 bits of information:
- The “username” used for authentication.
- Currently, the extension is a series of numbers such as “6000”. A directory of users is also available.
- The assigned extension will be given in an email.
- Do not use your SDF username.
- This may also be known as the server to connect with. Use sip.sdf.org as the server; use the default port of 5060/udp.
- Please note: some clients infer the domain from the extension. In this case, the extension will be in the form of “extension@domain”, or “sip:extension@domain”; eg, “firstname.lastname@example.org” would be a valid username that includes the domain.
- This is the password used to authenticate to the SIP server. This will be provided in the email as well, but may change very soon in the future.
- The password can be reset via the maint command.
Please see the client instructions page for specific client instructions.
Voicemail messages will be automatically mailed to your SDF email address in WAV format.